Most of my experience with Bergers, I admit, is with 264 caliber bullets. My only experience with match bullets in 30 caliber is the 168s, Sierra and Berger. Didn't realize the BCs weren't in line with the smaller Bergers.

I took a 300 mag to Mexico and used 168 SMKs as did all others in camp but one. David Miller now uses TSXs or TTSXs. The SMKs worked OK but the first shot did not anchor the buck and I shot him a second time as he ran off about 3" forward the first shot. Neither bullet did too much damage to the cape. From what I have experienced with Bergers since, I would have expected much more internal damage with them and possibly no need for the second shot.

I don't see the point in using light for caliber match bullets myself. I use the high BC bullets as I am minimizing my windage issues in a long shot situation. I have learned a lot since those days and laser range finders have removed the need for ultimate velocity and shown advantage of high BC bullets for long range shooting.

I have killed many, many deer with 165 grain ballistic tips when they were the only game in town. I quit using them when a neck shot blew the head completely off a trophy coues whitetail buck. I also guided a guy who shot a 5x5 bull elk with a 165 grain BT that blew up on the shoulder, knocked the bull down which promptly jumped up and rejoined the herd. He was last seen several hundred yards away- still with the herd.

I shot an antelope with the SST from a 300 magnum. The results were aweful- ruined cape and no edible meat on the front end. I shot another antelope with the same load but at much longer distance and results were very acceptable (borrowed rifle- long story)

I have had excellent results from Berger bullets with never a blow-up, even at 200 yds ranges. I will stick with what has worked for me.

All of those bullets will probably work fine for his deer hunting but I think the Berger has the best accuracy potential of the listed bullets and has proven to be a much better than engineered killer of medium sized game.

I only have one 308, which is my son's and we mostly use factory ammo in it. He killed a cow elk at 550 yds with it using Federal tactical loads (165 TBBC) and his bear last year using Norma 180 Oryx loads. Both proved to be excellent choices.

We can debate this forever but my experience with the Bergers has been better than with the others.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.