Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Plusses:

Recoil is lighter than any caliber on the '06 case or larger. I like it.

Minuses:

...I'm thinking...
OK, larger bullets make larger holes, and animals shot through the ribcage with larger calibers bleed more profusely and may die a bit quicker. This matters to people that aim behind the shoulders.

Yes, Redhead..there are advantages to 6.5s for some people.

I'm not arguing about this second point, it's just my thinking.

I don't know that larger holes cause death EVEN a bit quicker. I do KNOW that under normal circumstances, a larger hole ALLOWS more blood to flow or be pumped out.

Some on the fire don't agree but the bigger the hole/s, the more blood CAN get out.

That's only important in some hunting habitats. If you're hunting in or near thickets or REGROWTH cutovers it can be valuable.

Several times I've killed deer in regrowths and when you go to look for the animal, EVERYTHING looks different THERE than where you were. I'm speaking from personal experience as recently as Nov 12.2011. I had to go back to my position and re-pick out LANDMARKS just to find a dead buck lying on the ground and no blood trail was needed.

This has happend several times and when you have to blood trail an animal, the MORE BLOOD on the ground the better.

OTOH, I doubt seriously the difference between 264 & 270 would be noticeable. The bullet performance is probably MORE important IMO.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!