You mentioned that you're much more of a rifleman than a bowhunter these days. I can relate to that. I still occasionally hunt with one of my recurves or longbows but am mostly a rifleman. I shot competetively for a number of years in BPCR, gong and buffalo matches with one of two Shiloh Sharps. Now what, pray tell does that have to do with a crosbow, a weapon I have precious little experience with. Well, ballistically, quite a bit I believe. You're starting with a projectile at a considerably reduced velocity from a modern high intensity rifle/cartridge combination. Projectile drop, in my case a bullet, in yours a crossbow bolt, is considerable. Can I and those of us who shoot BPC rifles his quite small targets at considerable distances? Of course we can. Could you do it with a crossbow? I expect so, given time and practice. Just think of how artillery hits targets at great distance. Should either of us be shooting game at those distances which we can hit targets? I think not for a variety of reason. First is that a minor mistake in range estimation on either of our parts can make for huge errors at distance. Wind has been mentioned and at longer ranges with slow moving projectiles it is a very large consideration. Energy on target at great ranges, relatively, is reduced by a large percentage. Those are a few of the technical aspects. Throw in bad light, the excitement of the hunt, less than ideal shooting position, wind differences, that is coming from different angles, between shooting point and target and probably another dozen other things if I'd take time to think of them. Can it be done? Sure, you betcha. Should it be done? I believe that's where ones personal ethics come in to play. My 40-70 Sharps has on several occasions held MOA out to 600 yards given ideal conditions and me having a very good day. I've also had days where I had trouble holding 2 MOA at 300 yards. I wouldn't shoot at any animal with that iron sighted rifle at either distance given the same conditions. Cut the distance to 200 yards and it's almost a sure bet I'm taking game home.

Do as you will with encouragement and good wishes from me. Just think about in earnest as you do.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing