Originally Posted by deadkenny
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton
It's all because the .270 sucks.....

This ain't rocket science...

Great comments as usual Bob. All of the gratuitous swipes at the 270 by the usual gang of 'haters' aside, there is an interesting point raised in the OP regarding bullet design. Your points about faster twists and heavier (for calibre) bullets are well taken, and as you've essentially said it is pretty obvious that the 270 isn't going to excel at something it wasn't designed to do well in the first place. However, let's try to eliminate the issue of heavier bullets for the moment. If we consider only the 140 grain bullets in each of .264, .277 and .284 from the OP, there is still an interesting phenomenon. Obviously, at the same weight, the .264 will have the highest SD, and so it comes as no surpise that, given the 'same' bullet design, it has the highest BC as well. However, the .277 has a slightly higher SD than .284 and yet the BC of the .284 is actually a bit higher. It would be interesting to hear some comments from those 'on the inside' with respect to bullet design on why that might be.

deadkenny: Yes...maybe they have to design them that way, so they will shoot in the slower 270 twists? I dunno...

....and I think the point is the BC's are "slightly higher"....and it seems the real advantages come from those 6.5's and 7mm's that have substantially higher BC's,bullets like the 162Amax, or the Bergers, etc.I can understand the differences with those...but not with many others.

I wonder what a 162 270 bullet would look like? smile But no one is gonna build it,except maybe smaller custom makers who also build custom barrels to shoot it..

I have had problems getting 130 AB's and 130 Swift 2's to shoot in the 270 Win....is this twist? I dunno.....

I just got a 9 twist Brux 270 barrel....maybe I should have bought an 8" twist? smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/24/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.