Art, I tried a modified version of your stock finish this week end. Finding that my oven is not of suffciant size to heat up a stock in I chose to forego the heat. I mixed up a batch of West System and applied it to a stock with a body filler trowel. Limber plastic with a beveled edge about 1-3/4 inches wide. I applied small amounts of the epoxy and firmly pushed it into the wood. One coat was all that I could do as the material sets up rather quickley when it is thin, not viscosity thin but thickness thin, I preped the wood to a very smooth surface with out closing the pores up in my usual fashon, that is rubbed with a piece if cow leg bone. Tonite I sanded about half of the stock, a bit premature, but the forearm was set the hardest so I sanded with 220 grit then polished up with superfine steel wool. The stock sealed up real well and has a nice satin finish look, will sand the rest in a day or so time permitting. I plan to apply a finish coat using the tried and true finger method to get the thinnist and most even coat possible. When finished a light buffing with steel wool to knock off the gloss and leave a satin finish. West System really brings out the grain and figure in the wood leaving a deep finish that is a smooth as glass. I have a stock for a project that is a real beaut of a hunk of wood. I think I have found the finish for this one. Water proof, tough and attractive. I will still use turpinetine, bee's wax and spar varnish on my muzzleloaders, for show.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual