Safaris are expensive, as is wounded and lost game. Premium ammunition, by comparison, is relatively cheap.

For anything larger than impala/deer, my recommendation is a well constructed bonded bullet. Woodleighs, Swift A-Frames and Trophy Bonded softs have worked well for me. The Barnes TSX has performed admirably for me on smaller animals (i.e, impalas) and was also quite impressive on the big ones, (i.e., buffalo). I consider it a good all around bullet and it shoots accurately in my rifles. Please see the caveat regarding cats below.

Cats are a different story. The good old Core-Lokt or Federal Hot-Cor soft points have a fine reputation on cats, as does the Woodleigh. Too tough a bullet on a cat hunt is not a good thing. Ask me. I recently shot one with an A-Frame from a .416 and the result was an exciting followup in the dark. The exit wound was singularly unimpressive. Perhaps the NP at reasonable velocity may be a good choice for cats. Dunno. I never tried it and don't personally know anyone who has.

Too much velocity and a non-bonded bullet is not a good thing. IMHO, a NP out of a 7mm mag is a recipe for wounded and lost animals in many cases, especially on african game. The closer you are, the worse off you are when using this combo. Yeah, I know. A 160 NP out of your buddy's 7mm mag turned an elk into jello and fire danced around the entry wound for 10 minutes. Try that same combo on a zebra or wildebeest and let us know how it worked for you. The NP was ground breaking when it was introduced 60 odd years ago. You can do much better now, as bullet science has progressed a lot in the last 20 years.

I do not like plastic tips on hunting bullets. I have seen them fall off when the round was removed from the box. My friend lost an animal when the tip fell off a bullet, got stuck in the action and tied up the bolt.

I also recommend heavy for caliber bullets, especially under bushveldt conditions and at bushveldt distances. My preference in the .300 Win mag is, for instance, the 200 grain Swift A-Frame as loaded by Remington.

If you are hunting the "little five"' shoot them with solids. If you are hunting elephant or rhino (or following up a buff), IMHO, shoot Barnes monolithic solids. They have worked well for me. I have had Federal Sledgehammers bend and deform badly. My second choice for a solid (especially in older doubles) is the Woodleigh.

Just my observations. YMMV.

Last edited by Winchestermodel70; 12/17/11.