Originally Posted by BobinNH
I have no basis for comparison other than anecdotal... African animals have a "well deserved reputation" for being tougher than North American game

Hey, what the heck...I'll give it a whack.

Since we are talking anecdotal I will share a few I was graced to hear.

Anecdote One: "Many African animals have a hump. Shooting one of those animals at "the Equator" will result in a high lung shot. Hitting them slightly above the Equator will miss the lungs. In either case, the animal will produce a poor blood trail and take a long-to-very long time to die."

Anecdote Two: "Many African animals are herd animals. They will run with the herd until they fall over. Not like a White tail deer which might scurry off 75 yards and bed down. The herd they run with will churn up the trail and make even a generous blood trail an iffy thing"

Anecdote Three: "You pull the trigger and the tracker finds one molecule of hemoglobin, and you punch the tag and pay the freight."

I don't have the checkbook to hunt Africa. But if I did I would invest at least a couple of hours in learning where the heart/lungs were on any species I was likely to encounter.

As a side note....I just finished a magazine article in one of my son's magazines. The 'hunter' was shooting at dark blobs in the brush (at the advice of his PH). The PH said, "The Cape Buffalo is facing left" and the "hunter" shot sort of into the left side of the center of mass. A two day tracking job resulted. Several more shots were launched into dark blobs in the brush. Crap! That is only slightly less reprehensible than "sound shots" into the brush over here. No wonder African game is hard to kill with firearm short of a Browning Machine Gun in .50 BMG.

Shaking my head in wonder.

Last edited by JoeMama; 01/01/12. Reason: spellin'

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".