LightsOutSix:

I really can't comment about bears as I have never hunted them. I gained my experience in Africa, not North America. That said, I'm a big fan of the .30/06 and it will perform well (given good bullet placement) on 90% of African game with well constructed bonded or monometal bullets.

However, If I ever do have the opportunity to hunt the big bears, I think I would bring at least a .375, as they are considered dangerous game. A bison is a large animal, about the size of an eland, I would imagine, with heavy, tough bones. A large eland weighs a little more than a cape buff. My recommendation for eland is a .375 as a minimum. You might consider buying a .375 for your bison and bear hunting.

As to penetration, one would have to test the Nosler and TSX in some sort of consistent media in order to determine that. Sectional density is an important factor to consider as well. If you were bound and determined to use an '06 on bison, the 200 grain TSX loaded to about 2,600 would likely penetrate better than any other bullet that comes to mind. They are supposed to expand at impact velocities >1,900 fps.

A hunter who's battery consists of a .30/06 and a .375 H&H and can shoot well with them is, IMHO, ready for any game that walks the face of the earth.

Good hunting!

Last edited by Winchestermodel70; 12/18/11.