Thanks again folks. taz, given your report on the 1:16 I may decide to go with that, since I tend to lean more toward heavy bullets.

As for my reasons for chosing the Whelen, I dislike belted magnums because of my experience reloading them. (.300 WM and .450 Marlin) It could have been my dies, but they were always a pain to re-size. I know there are other more powerful non-belted options such as the .338 Lapua, etc. I simply like the Whelen and I've always wanted one. It is significantly more powerful than the '06, since the Whelen is capable of pushing a 225 gr. bullet to the same velocity as the '06 with a 180 gr. bullet.

My primary use in terms of game is moose. I wouldn't feel under-gunned using it for brown bear either, but as a meat hunter I don't intentionally hunt brown bears. I usually carry an S&W .460 loaded with heavy hardcast pushed by lil gun or H110 while hunting other game in brown bear country, just for protection.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."