Steven60;
As you may have noted by many of the posts already, there are differing methods of rust bluing. With the understanding that I'm not a working gunsmith, just a serious student of firearms, I'll throw out the following thoughts for your consideration.

I was taught how to do it 25 years ago, the way the chap who taught me had learned. Is it the right way? Well I suppose if the results are acceptable to the gun's owner then at least it is ONE right way. wink grin

One thing I'd like to add is that if you are going to use a home mixed acid formula, you need to do so in heavy glass containers.

It's been awhile since I mixed my last batch, but as I recall the reaction was a wee bit exothermic.

As well, when I add the nails to the acid, an orange gas comes off of the resulting solution and that orange gas does a body no good whatsoever.... frown

Please learn from my mistakes there and mix it is a very well ventilated area.

A carbon filter mask, rubber gloves and safety glasses would be a nice minimum of personal safety gear in my view.

I've never plugged a bore and have never had an issue with any contamination in it. As I understand it, boiling stops the oxidization process and as noted, everything dries very quickly coming out of the hot water.

As well, I've never blued the inside surfaces of any receiver, though it would be conceivable to do so I suspect. I've done plenty of bolts, however I've always kept the oxidizing solution away from the critical locking lug surfaces.

When I started out I used steel wool, but eventually ended up with a soft wire wheel from Brownell's which makes it much easier.

One thing I've found quite useful is that I've played with my acid solution so it achieved the amount of oxidization that I'm aiming for in 24 hours, so then I can work at it every evening.

If the solution is too concentrated, it will result in too much rusting in short order and the pits may become deeper than you really want. Hopefully that makes sense?

Oh, it usually takes between 6-8 rust/buff/boil repetitions to do most barreled actions for me. Once the initial prep is done - ie. the barreled action is stripped to the white, then it's usually about a half hour per repetition or maybe a little more or less depending on the action I'm working with.

Lastly, depending on the steel in the barrel and the action, the resulting finish may not be exactly the same as it won't oxidize and discolor in an identical manner.

For example, here is my old Ruger 77 that I did years back and you can sort of see that the investment cast action didn't color the same way that the comparatively soft Parker Hale barrel did. As well, one can see that whatever steel the barrel band was made from it didn't match either one. frown
[Linked Image]

The resulting finish however has been exceedingly tough and has withstood many, many trips afield here in the BC mountains.

Hopefully that was some use to you. Good luck whichever way you decide.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"