Originally Posted by Dess
Just got back from a couple of days hunting pheasant on public land in eastern Colorado. Eastern Colorado isn't known for being a dream location for pheasant by any stretch of the imagination. Sometimes, seeing birds close enough to determine hens from roosters can be a challenge. Getting something to flush within gun range is even tougher.

Usually, it's my brother and I walking fields. Getting birds with two guys and no dog is tough in this pheasant paradise.

My brother and I came across a guy with a 10 month French Brittany pup. We hunted a half mile square field of 2-3 inch sparse wheat stubble. That dog found and pointed a couple of hens where I would've bet money nothing was there. I was very impressed with the dog. The owner says he works like crazy but wasn't a spaz at home.

I've been looking for a new hunting dog afer my German Shorthair died. I like the GSP, but it was too big for my taste.

Anyone else have any experience with the French Brittany?

I had a Brittany a long time ago that was without a doubt the best foothunting dog I have ever been behind. Pheasants,Quail,Rabbits,Woodcock and Duck just an out and out hunting machine.