I prefer the �mild Improvement� of the Tomcat and the .25 Bullberry to the sharp shoulder of the Ackley for the 25-35. Using today�s powder in a modern rifle, there is not a pressing requirement for any �Improvement� in the 25-35. The �need� is for a modern bullet for the modern lever action rifle.
Ken Waters wrote an article titled along the lines of �Bullets Wanted� and he called for a 100-grain flat nose bullet for the 25-35. I too prefer the 100-grain bullets in the 25-35 and have experienced good results on our little West Texas deer and smaller pigs when using the 100-grain Speer JHP bullet. I have several friends who shoot the 7-30 Waters with 24� and 20� barrels. I give up nothing to these rifles when comparing the cartridge under typical field situations. These words do not apply to the standard 25-35 in the Thomson Center Contender due to the limits of the extractor.
The questions for the builder of a new 25-35 today is what game will I hunt and what rifling twist is optimum. I believe the 1-10� twist is best but if I was certain this was primarily a small game rifle I would select a 1-14� twist. Greg Mushials 1-14� twist rifle would shoot very small groups with the Speer 75-grain flat nose bullet. If I were hunting coyotes this might not be the best selection - I guess I need a switch barrel Model 94AE!

Slim