At the range you don't notice it with ear protection. I was in a box blind with her this year when she shot a 8 point for her first deer. I won't lie, it was loud and she commented that she "saw the muzzle flash". I had also only had her shoot reduced recoil loads for practice and snuck a factory 140 for the hunt. It probably wasn't necessary since the deer was at 80 yards, but I haven't been impressed with the remington reduced recoil bullets on game. She took the shot at an odd angle and got "scope eye". With all the adrenalin she did not feel any recoil, nor did she know she was bleeding from the cut between her eyes.

I don't think you will notice a difference with the 16.5 to the 20". My wife is 4'11" and petite and she likes the "feel" of the ruger better than the vanguard, but that may be her opinion.

With hearing protection and using the reduced recoil rounds for practice she should not have any issues. To me, it kicked no more than a model 7 .243.

I bought the vanguard with the intent of using the reduced rounds for my son, but at 13 he was shooting the factory rounds with no problem so we just went with those.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, if you get a chance to handle both, may boil down to which one she thinks is best.

Hope this helps

[Linked Image]

Last edited by cptenca; 02/15/12.