Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by CKW
Why make a "youth" rifle that is supposed to be for physically smaller and weaker people with proportionately smaller hands with a fat, bulky fore-end on the rifle?

As much as I like Howas, that's exactly my thought too. I don't much like the Hogues to begin with, but putting a butt heavy, thick wrist, and wide forearm on a skinny-barreled rifle that's marketed for youths is ridiculous. As an aside, the other thing I don't understand is why finding a 223 youth is so hard.

If you can find one, check out the Remington 700 SPS compact. Black stocked model is 27391 and camo stocked is 84191. Both are 7mm-08s. I bought one sight unseen in 223 and the stock is much more of what I would call a youth than many others. It comes with spacers too to adjust LOP by an inch. While the spacers don't appear to be the most rugged things in the world, they'll work for bridging the gap while a kid is growing.
..............Hogue stocks are not the best for youth rifles and are not for smaller people with smaller hands. Aside from the Ruger compact, I disagree with most factory definitions of "youth rifle."

Time to look at a 7/08 Ruger compact. Should have a smaller fore-end, a smaller pistol grip and will be more user friendly for your DIL. I think the newer Ruger compacts have stocks which are less bulky than is the stock on my early 2007 Frontier.

One with big hands can always and easily use a less girthy stock. The reverse isn`t true for someone who has smaller hands.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger