True dat, I have a customized Mod. 70 Classic stainless short action in .308Win, 22" tube, Micky Fwt. Edge and slabbed, etc, at Martini Gunmakers. It goes 6-10 empty, with a light scope and mounts and shoots and handles VERY nicely.

I have a Remmy 600 action, stainless 7-08 Mtn. Rifle barrel, Brown Precision Kevlar stock, blind mag. and PTG ADL guard and it seems that it will finish at 6-2 or 6-4 all up and it does handle well, but, anything lighter just don't work for me and I have tried a few.

I also have several P-64 Ftws, Brno 21s and Husqy HVA rifles, alloy bottom metal and Edge or other highend light synthetic stocks and these run from 7-4 to 7-13 ready to rock and I actually prefer them for mountain hunting as they settle faster and in the .30-06, .270Win, .280 Rem. and 7x57 chamberings I have, the recoil is not onerous.

So, I agree with my buddy, Brad, here and will not build or buy a rifle lighter than 6.5 lbs. scoped for my mountain hunting. As they say, lose that weight around your middle and the rifle seems lighter as well. I am still a bit sore from this mornings humping a loaded pack around the park next to my place in service of the foregoing! smile