I just unwrapped my new Model 70 Extreme Weather in 300 WSM, and I thought I'd share my impressions. It's my first Model 70, so take my remarks for what they're worth. This gun is impressive -- and I'm not easily impressed.

The balance is right, the fit and finish are excellent, and the machining on the bolt assembly and receiver are superb. Aside from about a pound too much pull weight, the trigger is flawless. Here's the biggie to me: The comb of the stock sits much closer to the centerline of the bore than I expected, so a 40-44mm scope ought to sit very close to the eye in low rings. Oh, and it's got a real (not plastic) stock. What's more, the stock is floated and properly rigid along its length.

I have several Remingtons, and all but one shoots very well. I will say without a doubt, however, that this EW is a much nicer rifle (from the box) than any of my Remingtons, and that includes my Senderos. We'll see how she shoots, but, if this is what FN is sending out the door, the other brands are in big trouble.

Chris