Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

As far as anti-biotics are concerned, there are no legal antibiotics for tilapia culture in this country. None.
that's not entirely true. One of my hunting partners sells fish vaccines. He worked for Novartus for years and and currently works for AquahealthUSA. I asked him about the tilapia deal and here's his reply:
That is not true with no vaccines available for Tilapia. There is a USDA licensed vaccine for Columnaris that can be used in Tilapia. However this pathogen does not cause a lot of mortality in Tilapia. The main pathogen in tilapia is Strep. iniae and there is not a licensed vaccine for that pathogen.

[/quote]

Dick, tell Jerry I said "Hi" will ya? Is he moving ok with the new hip?

There are a couple of commercial vaccines available for Tilapia, but of course, vaccines are not anti-biotics, they prevent us from having to use anti-biotics.

Autogenous vaccines (derived from a culture of the organism creating the problem on that individual farm site) have been instrumental in reducing the use of anti-biotics, and have saved several farms, including mine. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis