mt. lions are a warm fuzzy for the velcor wearing save the planet group not reconizing they are a very efficient predator.
A long time ago, talking to a arizona game & fish officer about california and it's policy of lions. Ariz does get visits from california game and fish guys, seminars, and so on. It was the common concensus between the calif guys and arizona guys it was only a matter of time when lions started munching fluffy the poodle and people, which is happening from time to time here and there. Not to long ago a young lion was treed at a golf course in prescott, darted, then killed. A huge outcry from california transplants about killing the poor kitty.
Now a few years ago i attended a arizona game and fish meeting where they were discussing lions. Much changed these days from the old days on how you can take them. BUT i still can get a tag for about 14bucks which is good for a year which allows me to pop a kitty. But i am not allowed to shoot a kitty with cubs or a lactating female. Asked az game and fish about this on how you can tell she is lactating at 100yards. He laughed and said 'HOW LONG HAVE YOU LIVED IN ARIZONA?" He said carry a shovel and if an error was made, the worms got to eat too.
We have had a number of incidents in recent years within arizona between humans and the big cats. I am pretty sure there are several big toms living in the city limits of prescott. But the response would be different here if confronted by one. Excepting if you were a transplant from another area.
I remember coming accross a guy up near williams a couple of years ago in his cute little helmet, pants etc riding a mt bike in prime lion country. Told him he ought to rethink that, he looked kind of like a slow moving deer. Don't think he understood, and he was unarmed.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO