I have a Sav 219D 30-30 in minty condition that I got ~ 4 years ago for ~ $125 [don't even think of competing with me or my brother for finding gun deals at a gun show].

The book "A Potpourri of Single Shot Actions" by Frank de Haas 1993 , chapter 19 is "The Savage 219 Single Shot Rifle"

I love de Haas' writings, and it seemed strange how much he seemed to dislike his Sav 219D.

I took mine apart, put in a new firing pin, and buy the time I got it back together, I hated that rifle.

And the bore was not made well.

He hints that earlier Sav 219s were much nicer.

I could see that it was built like the Handi Rifle I analyzed for strength. Twice as strong as the brass will ever be.

I worked up until no more powder would fit.
220 gr HNDY round nose moly W748 2.92" 26" barrel, 30-30, Sav 219L
Quickload prediction:
33 gr 51 kpsi 2176 fps
34 gr 56 kpsi 2232 fps
35 gr 62 kpsi 2287 fps
36 gr 68 kpsi 2340 fps
37 gr 75 kpsi 2394 fps
38 gr 83 kpsi 2446 fps brass and primer still look good
39 gr 92 kpsi 2498 fps primer very cratered, case full of powder, ball powder compresses a hair below 2.92"
39 gr 92 kpsi 2498 fps primer very cratered, case full of powder, ball powder compresses a hair below 2.92"

[Linked Image]
Here the stripped receiver sits on a copy of "Gun Digest book of Exploded Gun Drawings".

The trigger guard is made of sheet metal. Take one apart, and you will become aware.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Can you see the quality of design BEFORE the "L" model?
The earlier one's had the quality of a Stevens or Iver Johnson break action shotgun.
The L model has the quality of a cap gun.

-------------------------------------------------------

I did not like the rimfire type tip off mount, so I drilled and tapped and modified a Weaver #74 base [meant for a Sav 24, but has the same radius]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I got it all together, got a scope on it, but I just shot it into the dirt to do the work up, and I have not taken it to the range.

What does it all mean?
Take apart the L model, and by the time you get that sheet metal crap back together, you will hate that rifle, like de Hass in 1963 and me in 2010.

If you don't take it apart, you might like it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps