Originally Posted by BullShooter
Originally Posted by Florida Resident
I bought a pristine pre-64 Super Grade Model 70 from a guy in Georgia. He drove to just inside the northern border of Florida to meet me for the exchange in a McDonald's parking lot. Saved the worry about damage in shipping and much of the costs.

I hope that a question about buying and selling but avoiding shipping is on topic.

Is the transfer described in the quote above a violation of Federal law, assuming that neither party has an FFL?

My reading of ATF FAQs makes me think it is a violation, despite crossing a state border to make the transfer in the purchaser's state of residency. I may be misinterpreting the FAQs, or they may be incorrect.

Thanks.
--Bob
Yes, you are correct. The '68 GCA does not permit unlicensed persons who are residents of different states to transfer a firearm without going through a federal firearms licensee. However, I have never ever seen any sort of credible data that would lead me to believe that the BATFE or any U.S. Attorney's office is using any sort of resources to track down and prosecute these; there's just not a lot of funding to prosecute a private sale between two otherwise law-abiding gun owners. I won't openly suggest anyone violate the law, but use your best judgement on something like this.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.