Originally Posted by IDMilton
This is the OP.

I shot the rifle today. I loaded ladders of h4831 and H1000. I know you are supposed to shoot ladders at several hundred yards, but I didn't have time and the wind was gusting over 20 (6-7:00)so I just shot at 100 yards. (I didn't want to wait any loner to shoot.)

First I shot two of HK at 68 grains to settle the rifle in the stock and get on paper. They landed 8 inches high and 9 inches left, but only .5 apart. I thought that was lucky for the first two shots. I clicked the scope and started shooting. (I let the rifle cool three minutes between shots once I started.)

My first shot with H1000 at 69 grains was 2734. Way slow. So I jumped to 71 grains. 2830 and about an inch high and right. Shot 71.3 grains and it landed a hair higher and a little to the right. It was 2859. 71.6 (last one for HK) was 2899. It key-holed the previous shot and the three holes were a little under .6.
That makes me happy! Bolt lift was fine and the primers look fine, too, so I think I'll go up another 1-1.5 and see what happens.

H4831 was not as good in this rifle. Shot number 1 was 62 grains. 2730. So I skipped down to 64 and 64.3. 2744 and 2754. The three bullet holes were 1.3 inches apart.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the rifle and H1000 so far. I'll head back out next week and hope that group wasn't a fluke.

The rifle is a 1995 boat paddle Ruger in 7 Mag. It hasn't been floated or bedded. The trigger is seven pounds one ounce and long. It is going to the gunsmith to get the trigger done and I'll put a Pachmayr pad on and switch it to normal swivels.

Thanks again for the help with the load.

Sounds like a nice rifle...You'll notice a difference in recoil after the decelerator is on...As long as you are happy with those velocities, that's all that is important...My winchester model 70 likes RE25 and 3,100 fps is attainable but my groups start falling apart. I back it down to around 2,950 to 3,000 fps and all is well and sub moa again...Get that trigger worked on and you'll sure have a sweet shooting Ruger there......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA