It's the OP again.

I went out this afternoon again.
72 grains of H 1000 was giving me 2920-2940 and great accuracy.
I shot 3 at 72.5. 2978, 2999, and 3018. (I don't like that spread, but the sun came out for the last shot and that may have made the chrono read high. Or, my barrel was hot. Or, I have an F1 chrony. Or...I don't know. Maybe I just don't have a consistent load!) The first two were.4, the third round opened the group to .8. (The barrel was really hot by then.)

I am really happy with the way the gun was shooting and I'm good with those speeds.

The primers look fine and the bolt opened easily. The only thing that concerns me is that I fired two of that load from a friend's rifle, and had bright ejector marks. (Mid 1980s Rem 700.) The bolt opened easily and the primers looked fine, but the marks mean he'd be over pressure with that load, right? What's weird is that he had the exact same speed on the chrony I did. I thought more pressure always equates to more velocity.

Any ideas as to the difference? My rifle is a Ruger, so maybe it is over pressure too and I just can't see the ejector mark like on the Remington? The load shoots so well, I'd like to settle on it. (It was 84 degrees when I was shooting and we were at 5100 feet.)

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221