I've done 4 safaris totaling nearly 70 days of hunting across Zim, Botswana and South Africa, with the last trip being a family trip to South Africa where I took my then wife and both children. While the Zim and Botswana hunts were fabulous long affairs (two of them were 24 day safaris with lots of DG hunting) I really enjoyed our trip to South Africa.

Our South African hunt started with 3 days of touring Kruger Park on our own, then two days in the Thornybush Private Game Reserve near Hoedspruit. In those five days we saw elephants including several 100 pounders up close, buffalo bulls up to nearly 50", Black and White Rhinos, 2 leopards, and nearly a dozen lions, including a very old, large male up close (think hit him with a stick close). Those five days were absolutely fabulous and my family enjoyed themselves immensely. We then took 5 days to hunt for my son and myself. We hunted hard for eland, but I never saw a bull I wanted to shoot, however my son shot a fantastic kudu bull, a nice warthog and impala while I took a very nice nyala, which was the only thing I wanted besides and eland.

We booked that trip through Marita Dyason of Spear Safaris. SHe and her husband Ernest have two young children, so they understand the family safari concept really well. She is extremely detail oriented, and arranged everything for us from the time we landed in Phalaborwa until we left there 10 days later. I recommend them without hesitation. www.spearsafaris.com

I'm now planning my next safari, and will most likely hunt only plains game for about 10 days. I've looked at South Africa and Namibia, but am really focusing on Botswana and Mozambique. The quarry will include eland (#1 priority) and kudu and depending on where I decide to go the others will fall in line after that. I'm leaning toward Mokore Safaris if I go to Moz, and Tholo Safaris if I go to Botswana. Both have fabulous eland hunting, as well as very good kudu. If I decide to include buffalo, then it'll probably be Mokore in the Save Conservancy of Zim. Depending on whether I take a lady friend or not, I'll also visit Vic Falls, Chobe or Kruger Parks before the hunting commences.

If you want a great family safari, I hope this information helps you.