Oh the memories. Along about 1951 or 1952, I bought a ".25 Jap" Ariska that had a very nice piece of some dark colored African hardwood for a custom stock, that had been re chambered to .257 Roberts. Being young and dumb (14-15) I took the seller at his word and shot Bobs in it. The bullet made a weird noise as it traveled to the target. Never could figure that deal out! Surprisingly, it was pretty darn accurate. One of my uncles once shot a duck (calm day) at about 85-90 yards from shore, while a federal game warden watched. The nice warden was going to issue a citation and keep my rifle to insure appearance, but I objected loudly, so he called out the judge and took Uncle in to get justice. $50 plus court costs as I remember.

I finally snapped that the .257 caliber bullets were somewhat too small for a .264 bore, and less than perfectly stable bullet was creating the strange noise on the way to the intended target. The seller had not bothered to tell me that I needed to hand load the Roberts with 6.5 mm bullets. That may have been my first lesson in gun trading.

The safety is the pits, but I got the hang of it. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero