Originally Posted by battue
The Beretta 391 will be no longer produced in a couple years and will be replaced by the XCell 400. This comes from a high volume Beretta dealer.

Will the XCell out perform the 391? So far from around March of this year I've put approximately 4000 rounds thru mine. It has hiccuped twice. Last run was around 2000 rounds without cleaning, other than wiping it down. No malfunctions. I cleaned it the other day, just because I was starting to feel guilty. The trigger mechanism was remarkably clean. When I used to shoot a SuperX Model 1, the trigger would look like a dirty grease pit after that many rounds. The chamber area had no visible pitting. The new gas piston cleaned up quickly. Essentially doused it in Clenzoil, let it sit for 5minutes and wiped the carbon build up off. Did have to spend some time getting the carbon buildup off the inside of the barrel extension that holds the piston.

Have had 391s that wouldn't hang with this sample of one XCell for malfunctions and staying clean. Although talking with other shooters who are using them, it seems to be typical.

I think Beretta has hit a home run with the new version.

Addition: A guy I was shooting with the other day had some of the Winchester "Feather" shotshells, which are light kickers that only go 980fps. I tried them in the XCell. They functioned. The cycling was definitely slow, but function they did. However, I'm sure they wouldn't function reliably over the long haul.

Battue I know a few guys other then you shooting the XCell and all love it so far. I might have to pick one up soon.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.