I will agree that the 45-70,458 etc offer some gain over the .444.That's not the question.How dead is dead enough.First off,let's eliminate the pistol bullet argument .Saying .444 bullets aren't up to bear standards is like saying the .270 is no good for deer,because those 90 HP's blow up really easy.Of course they do, that's why no one recommends them for deer.Well, no one recommends using a 240 gr bullet for big bears either.Bullet selection is no concern,as Beartooth,Cast Performance,Barnes and Buffalo Bore all make very good,suitable bullets.These bullets are accessible to anyone,so what's the problem?None of the calibre's mentioned are any good if the wrong bullet/load is used.Therefore,one must assume that the correct type of bullet will be used.As far as heavy bullets go,the idea that they wont't stabilize is mostly held by people who have never tried it or even seen it tried.Visit Beartooth Bullets and you'll see even older Marlin's,supposedly the worst offender's,shoot heavy bullets very well.And most latter .444's have a faster rate of twist.Given a choice of rifles to use on big bears at reasonable range,say 150 yds and less,I'll take my .444 with some hardcast 330's over any .338 Win. out there.Oh yeah,Paco Kelly is taking his .444 to Africa this year.That should be an eye opener.