Is the .444 Marlin a good caliber for big bear, such as brown, grizzly, etc.?

The advice that you have gotten in this thread regarding using the right bullet is dead on.

Time and again, I have read reports and seen photos of heavy, hard cast lead bullets killing all sorts of large, heavy, or dangerous game very capably. Sometimes, the reports clearly showed that the hunter was a risk taker (One guy got all of the Big Five in Africa).

However, the reports about "bad bullets" is based in fact. In my little corner of heaven, only Remington 240 JHP are available over the counter in the 444 in the big stores. That really is a 44 magnum bullet in that box. But, the 240 grain JHP is AOK for and deer. That being said, I have not heard good things about it for Black Bear, Elk, Mooses, or wild boar.

But, Hornady loads a Light Magnum 444 with a good 265 grain bullet and most gun shops can get it for you. The reports I have read from guys who have actually killed something with this load indicate it is good for Black bear, Wild Boar, and Elk.

Otherwise, hard cast lead bullets are just fine (The Big Bears, Moose, etc). Every report I have seen indicates that good, hard cast lead bullets fly right on through whatever they are shot into. This is where the Buffalo Bore and other stuff comes in. (handloaders can order Hard Cast Lead Bullets from Midwayusa).

So, I say, if you want to take a 444 hunting for Big Bears, go right ahead.

As always, the three most important factors are: (1) use the right bullet; (2) practice, practice, practice; and (3) make sure that your guide understands and is comfortable with your choice.

Good Shooting,

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II