Friend Bob,

I worked in a gun store, working my way through college (while also apprenticing goldsmithing and watchmaking).

Ond day a little old man came in with a trade-in; it was a pre-war Winchester Model-70 .30-'06. The stock was really, really light colour walnut and exquisite grade. Serial number 125.

The little old man told me that during the first year of the Model-70, his next door neighbor was the local Winchester representitive and that he'd bought the rifle from the rep.

I bought the rifle from the old man for some rediculous sum ... like $50. And I held onto the rifle for a while. I still remember how very small the low serial number looked upon that really wide receiver bridge.

Eventually, I needed money for another term of college, or maybe it was one of my two apprentice-ships, so I sold the rifle.

The buyer was Lou Leonard, the local pipe shop owner and the guy who had perhaps the finest firearms collection in our area. Lou died not long ago ... he was a fine man and a good friend, but we never discussed Number 125 ... I wish we had; I wish I knew where that incredible rifle ended up.

Off to bed, it's 3AM here. Good night, my friend.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397