I'm late to the party but have hunted the west side of West Elk Creek a couple times with an outfitter (Gary Ballard) in a drop camp. I've also hunted Swampy a time or two. The Rock Springs camps are usually full and they hunt all over adjacent area around camp. They do venture up toward Bonfisk but usually stay south - at least when I was there.

Hunting in the gorge will yield elk and some dang nice bulls. But there is no free lunch. I sat on the west rim and watched elk roaming around the gorge one year. I saw over 50 elk and some dang nice bulls. Most have seen the day hunt drill before and are located accordingly.

Two problems readily come to mind: 1. getting out of the canyon with an elk; 2. getting to elk. Have a real good look at the topo map of the area. There is alot of area with quasi-cliffs. You won't be traversing them.

Both problems can be illustrated by a story. The last year I hunted over there, I watched a decent bull directly below me at ~ 1000 yards. I watched him lay down and had his location figured. I called my Dad over to guide me into the area. I got down to within 300 yards of the bull but could not get around an unforeseen stream. Crossing the stream involved dropping off the bank about 6-8 feet and scaling the opposing bank of simialr magnitude. I tried for an hour and couldn't do it. It took me 45 minutes to climb back up the 6-700 yards I came. It was literally like climbing a ladder at 10,000 feet altitude.

The elk are there but require work. Another suggestion I've never shared before - try to get into the very top end of Cow Creek. There are a number of smaller meadows at the top end that sit on the south facing ridge. Dark, steep timber is on the north side and is a 5 second walk over the top. Bulls stay in the timber and pop up over the ridge to eat in those small meadows. Might have seen them do it. wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.