Originally Posted by nick762
Anybody on here ever check out soap creek during 2nd rifle? One of the guys in my group thinks it could be the cats meow because the outfitter in that area told him they kill a lot of bulls real close to camp. Looks like it should be a pumkin patch to me but I've never been there.

nick62:

You can camp in the Big Soap Park in early August and be surrounded by so many elk that they keep you awake at night. But they won't be there during rifle hunting season.

I've hunted out of a base camp at the end of the Soap Creek Road several times. You can drive all the way into Big Soap Park with a 4X4 vehicle. It will take about an hour to drive the last five miles. There will be other camps in there for sure and there won't be any elk out in the open. No one kills bulls close to base camp. Who ever claimed that bulls are killed close to camp is full of $hit. You have to day hike or backpack up out of the basin to get into elk.

We setup a comfortable base camp in Big Soap Park then did short backpack hunts up out of the basin onto the ridges to the east and northeast between the basin and the ridge top. We would sit on a point not too far from our little backpack tents and wait for the elk to show. East Soap Creek, specially the east slopes above the creek, has yielded some good bulls.

A lot of the horses that Ferros rents are used by people who setup base camps in Big Soap Park.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.