I have almost the identical G&H Mauser 30/06 that TLEE is talking about, except mine is a 1938 vintage. My rifle came out of a collection of rifles owned by General Peacock. I don't think he is that well known to the public, but he is supposed to have an extremely nice gun collection.

Griffin & Howe rifles are/were made to the highest possible standards. I would say that they are sort of the US equivalent in rifles to Holland & Holland, Westley Richards, etc. G&H rifles today can cost $15k and up.

I used to live about 15min from the Bernardsville store and really enjoyed spending time there. G&H is one of the last classic era gun makers left in this country. If you happen to see the book "Hemingway's Guns", a G&H 30/06 is on the cover, it was an early Springfield action. He had a few other G&H guns over the years as well. Their archives are filled with famous people, they were the go-to gun shop for the rich and famous.

A lot of the value of G&H guns is based upon the amount of engraving...and who did it. If you have a "basic" rifle with no engraving, with a M70 action, in 375H&H, you are looking about $6000 - $7000 retail, if is in great condition.

I use my G&H as my main rifle, it shoots 1" groups all day. Someone asked me why I bought that rifle when I could have bought a brand new Dakota for the same price (about $5500 at the tiem). I told them that if we are going to compare the two rifles, I would need to spend over $10k to get the same rifle from Dakota.