Originally Posted by gmsemel
Back in 1971 I made an inquiry to Griffin & Howe about having a 7 x57 made. I was young, they told me at the time plan on about 1000 dollars or a tad more. But the time I figured out what I wanted the bill would have been around 1800 dollars, You could buy a new car for that, then. I didn't do it even thou I had the money, my mom talked me out of it. It would be worth a good chunk of money today no doubt. The Griffin and Howe Side mount is a thing of beauty when they do the work and stock a rifle for it. A lot of very good Winchesters have been wrecked by bubbas that thought they could install one. They are not Cheap, they never was. For decades they had the Gun Room at Abercrombie and Finch when they catered to outdoorsman. That ended in 1968. G+H catered to american carriage trade, and to those the could afford the work. They started by making sporting rifles out of 1903 Springfield's. Along with others after World War I. You can look at then as being an American Version of John Rigby and Son. A new one of those with set you back 30 K for starters. There are a lot of good makers around these days some do very very good work for very reasonable prices. Hand work is not cheap from a skilled craftsman.

I see, from their website, they are still "at it", and still is not cheap.
Nice work though, can't figure out from this page if that price is with a rifle/action you provide, or they do the whole thing?