A few years ago when Charles Daly was closing it's doors I bought one of their zastava mausers in 30-06, right hand, synthetic stock for $260 on closeout. It had some of the problems you described, gritty trigger, fed poorly from the box. The synthetic stock was standard tupperware like you'd find on a remington or winchester and the lines were fairly trim and pleasing, so other than it being tupperware it was OK. The good news is that the trigger cleaned right up with a bit of tinkering, it was pretty easy to get around 3# and get the creep out. I'm no gunsmith, but after feeding a bunch of rounds I was able to trace the feeding problem to some machining flash on the bottom edge of the extractor, a minute or two with a file had the flash cleaned up and it's fed great ever since. The really good news is that right out of the box it shot sub-moa, it's the most accurate big game rifle I've ever bought out of the box, it really didn't take much tweaking at all to get it shooting 3/4" groups.

For the money I paid it's probably the best firearm bargain I've ever found. I'd say yours is also. They're a bit of a diamond in the rough, but I'll bet it'll shoot well like mine did after you fix the minor issues. The stock does have nice wood, it reminds me a lot of the stocks you get on a CZ, too heavy and poorly styled for the american market. It looks like a project for someone with a rasp and some patience, but I'll bet it could be made nice.