Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
For my 7X57 the contour is light but not what I'd call too light, it really looks just right. .555" at the muzzle is almost the same as a Remington mountain rifle contour but the Remington has a different taper and is a lot light barrel.

Just put a scope on mine, Leupold FX-II 6X in Weaver mounts (only ones I had) and the rifle weighs 8 1/4 pounds, same as my Winchester 70 LT in .30-06. I first tried some low Weaver bases and the bolt handle would not clear the ocular bell, so I switched to some high bases I had. The scope sits too high now so I'll have to remedy that but it's okay for range work to see what loads the rifle likes.

Gus K - what scope mounts are you using? The only ones I can find on line are Weavers, Millet and Warne which are all Weaver style cross slot bases(and I've read the Warne's don't fit properly), and then the rear screw adjustable "standard" Leupold type bases. Talley makes some but apparently there are some issues with the fit of those as well due to so many variations of Mauser actions made over the years.

Jim,
the bases on my 7x57 were custom maade by my 'smith to ensure proper height.
I was unaware Talleys did fit!
Gus