Because my main hunt each year is for black bear over bait (I rarely hunt whitetails anymore), and moose when possible, I prefer variables. Though, in recent years I've enjoyed a couple of fixed 4X.

This year I'm using my 9.3 X 62 with a 2-7X by 35mm Burris Fullfield II. The distance from stand to bait is 135 yds (ranged). Hunt begins Sept 1st. A mature boar is attending this bait, so I don't expect to see him early. Probably just about quitting time, if at all. He comes from a very dense woods and underbrush. My scope will be cranked to 6 or 7X.

On the other hand, if I opt for my Ruger No.1 in .45-70, it's a 350gr Hornady at 2270 fps, sighted appropriately. It carries a 2-7 by 32mm Nikon (shotgun scope), which appears brighter to me than the Burris though it's only a 32mm vs a 35mm. It too would be cranked all the way up.

Over the years I've used many 3 - 9s X40mm, but generally find them a bit too heavy and clumsy for woods encounters.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus