Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Ack-by surface blast do you mean you had what I call a "splash back" and yet the bullet continued on with penetration?

I am curious about this as well. Whenever these NBT threads come up it seems the terms: surface wound, splash wound, blow-up, etc. get used quite often. I've shot a lot of NBTs into animals, and I've never seen one 'blow-up' on the surface or 'splash on the shoulder/ribcage'..... not even 6mm/55s at 4100+, they typically exited coyote size critters... and a couple of does.

I have indeed witnessed the effect of "Splash-back" with a Ballistic Tip made in this century. I've posted this before so forgive. The killing involved a poor little doe whitetail maybe 110lbs or so (victim) and a roughneck heathen white boy (assassin) accustomed to hunting in the coastal jungle of South Carolina where "if they got out of the food plot shot they were probably lost". So he was up in the Piedmont area hunting with my then club with his drop-em-now rifle; a .340 Weatherby Mag with factory loaded Ballistic Tips. Seems he said they were 200gr but not sure. At 20 yds or so the bullet made an entry wound approximately the size of a small dinner plate but the exit was only about the size of a saucer. Deer still almost made it out of the greenfield but how I'll never know.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."