Originally Posted by Freedumb1

Tex,

Tell me about the top Big Bore?

That would be a Field's patent falling block, which is a fairly rare action. It was in .500-450 #1 Blackpowder Express (gotta love British cartridge names).

It had a fairly rough bore. I did eventually get it shooting to the fixed sights, with 300 gr bullets at 1900 fps, but it lead fouled the bore after about three shots. That might partly have been my paper patching technique, which was crude at the time frown

It was sold by Rodda, and said on the barrel, "#6 & #8 Dalhousie Square, Calcutta It was clearly someone's favorite hunting rifle, and was surprisingly light, for having such a massive action and 28" barrel. The receiver was fully engraved with game scenes, but the engraving was almost totally worn away, from being carried so much.

Ah the stories it could have told...no I wasn't smart enough to keep it.

I think someone else here has a Field's, and theirs is in nice shape. I'd love to have one again. Maybe someday that one will turn up for sale smile

edit to add:

Here's some better photos of a Field's though not identical to mine. It was made by Holland & Holland...

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Holland-Holland-303-Field-patent-falling-block.cfm?gun_id=100280110

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 09/22/12. Reason: noted

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."