So I finally ran across an action I've been looking for, for quite some time. A Win 70A (Ranger would have done as well). I know they're not exactly rare but they're creeping up to the 400-500$ mark before shipping and transfer online. Found a great deal at my LGS and its sitting in layaway for a few weeks.

I already have other projects in process for other game, like a dedicated dark timber elk rifle (375 Rug on a pre-64) a main elk rifle (M70 300 Wby I'm trying to get to 7.5lbs) and an ultralight elk/mule deer (M70 CRF I'm hoping to get around 6lbs in 30-06) So I have decided to use this as my dedicated goat gun.

It is currently a 30-06 pushfed action, so I am looking at something x57 or '06 based for the build. I want either a #4 or #5 barrel, possibly fluted for weight if going #5/Med Varmint. It will be going into a Boyd's JRS laminate stock that is already fairly hefty, so I have a good stable platform.

What I can't decide on, is what cartridge to go with! Obviously with the Ruger and Wby, I'm not one ot shy away from more expensive cartridges to play around with. But, I can also appreciate function at a cheaper price.

Stuff I'm thinking about so far -
6mm Rem *maybe AI*
240 Wby
25-06
280 Rem
257 Bob AI

Basically I'd like to be throwing a 100-110gr bullet in the 3100-3400fps ballpark.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? 270 is right out, I'm in the anti-270 crowd lol and yes I've owned a few already.