I owned a Ruger 96/44 for about 10 years. Though I carried it a lot for backup in baiting bear it never got used for that purpose. But I did develop several loads for it from 265gr FPs to 300s, and it shot very well. It was accurate and one of the fastest, best handling rifles I've ever owned. I only shot a couple of crows and a lot of targets with it, though it got carried quite a bit in the bush.

Recently a friend deceased and left some firearms for the 2 sons to dispose of... neither of them hunt. In that small collection is a nearly new Marlin in .44 Rem Mag, which I'm considering for purchase.

I know that in Alaska the .44 Mag is a favorite sidearm for defense against grizz, etc, but how many use it, or have used it in a rifle, and why?

It seems the perception is that it's potent enough (though there are more powerful sidearms today)for grizz up close in a revolver, but too anemic in a rifle!

Brian Pearce has written that with the right load it is as effective on elk at 150 yards as a .30-06!! And he has considerable experience with that cartridge in a revolver plus most others.

What are your experiences and thoughts?

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 11/29/12.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus