Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I keep two guns at camp for bears. One is a Rem 870 Pump, 20" rifled barrel- loaded with slugs. The other is a Win M94 45 Colt Trapper carbine. A few summers ago we had a bear problem where the bear refused to comply with our wishes and it finally became a terminal issue. A 12 gauge slug was lethal but only slowed Mr. Trouble. The Brenneke slug did not find its way through the young boar. The Trapper carbine turned out the lights. Both of its slugs penetrated farther and exited the animal.

Recently, I shot this animal with the same 45 Colt lever carbine:

[Linked Image]

The 320 cast slug struck the animal first in the left shovel, punching a neat hole through the antler. Next it struck the left shoulder near the edge of the scapula. From there it traversed diagonally through lungs, paunch, and right rear quarter. The bullet exited. The shot was probably around 200 yards. Significant handgun rounds can seem a bit wimpy in rifle-sized weapons, especially I think, because they sometimes get judged at the butt end of things where they are a bit mild, especially compared to the fury of the fist-held stuff. Nothing could be further from the objective truth however.

Beautiful caribou!! They are my favorite Alaskan mammal for both looks and eating.