Originally Posted by Elkmen
I happen to agree, occasionally when I am around the gun counter I hear conversations that make me shudder. However it seems to me that this discussion always degenerates into the magnumits argument where it's assumed that the miss was recoil induced, rather than poor shooting in general. I have helped find several elk for others over the years, who readily admitted to flinching. The solution suggest on the web always, seems to be use a smaller caliber with less kick, and that will magically solve the problem. It won't, a poor shooter is still a poor shooter no matter the caliber.
I have helped and attempted to recover far "more" game, shot with 6mms, and smaller than those wounded with Magnums. That's just my experience with over 60years in the woods. I know that guides deal with a lot more people than I , but that's my data base. The more energy you can deliver down range the better your chances of recovery no matter the hit. That does't suggest that I support poor shooting, its the opposite. I shoot several hundred rounds annually from both magnums and non magnums. Perfect shots are few, and not always possible. That's where the increased foot lbs on target, may get you a kill, rather than a lost animal

Good points here Elkmen. While I believe the average hunter will do better with a "standard" round, it doesn't just happen because he is shooting a smaller round. As we all know, it takes knowledge and practice to become a good shot.
I maintain that the average hunter does not shoot well enough to realize the full potential of even the average factory rifle.
Good thing most big game is shoot relatively close.