My 16 yr old thinks he needs a .45 ACP pistol instead of his 9MM and a .338 WM instead of his 30-06. We were actually having that conversation today so I had him get his CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical and our Browning Buck Mark out. I placed two milk jugs at 25 yards and he shot 19 rounds from the CZ and I shot 11 rounds from the Buck Mark. He hit 8 of 19 and I hit 11 of 11. I then told him that probably 90 percent of the bullets I have fired in my 54 years were .22 longs even though I own seven centerfire rifles and six centerfire handguns. I saw the light finally go on in his head.
Started loading magazines for him and he shot 100 rounds out of the Buck Mark. The last 39 rounds in a row were all hits. I have never had the pleasure of going on an elk hunt but will do it with my son before I am 60. I will bring my 6.5x55 and my .270 as back-up. Maybe I am a wuss but I started feeling recoil more when I hit my mid forties. I personally believe that if you do a whole lot of shooting with rimfires it will make you a better shot with centerfires. And then if you do a lot of shooting with a 30-06 or smaller it will make you a better shot with magnums should you choose to step up. Not a scientific approach but it certainly worked for me and my friends whose first firearms were hand me down single shot bolt action .22s with iron sights.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.