Bob, i had an H&H, went to Africa with it and took ten PG with eleven shots. It weighed 8.5 lbs as aimed, was accurate, effective, and I loved it. Got home and decided to do some changing around with my other safe residents which involved trading/selling some off including the H&H and a semi-custom 340 Wby.

But I soon realized that I missed a bigger, longer range chambering that I had in the 340. The new 250-TTSX 375 bullet put me back to looking 375 again but without the bill of a semi-custom as I'm a lefty and I didn't care for the size, and heft of the CZ. Thus I came to the Ruger African in a lefty, had the barrelled- action glass-bedded, the trigger worked, and had an extra "recoil crossbar" added. Then ordered a McM for it.

Like in talking cartridges, in anesthesia you learn a lot of theoretical stuff the practical ramifications of which you rarely see in practice. That's probably the case here too. The H&H's legacy will always be there and if the best the Ruger ever does is just equal the H&H out of the blocks, that's pretty good. Can't go wrong with either one which really means the rifle's the thing. Which means the fit, function, weight and likability of it for the hunter is much more significant than any differences between these two cartridges. Just the view from here anyway.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 12/16/12.