First never say pole or fish pole again ;^) It's a rod and in my experience more than any other sport fly fishing is saturated with folks that are equipment junkies. I don't really count myself as a dedicated fly fisherman as I live in the south and fish mostly for bass and panfish. I do have a fly rod and can do a passable overhand and roll cast but in reality I mostly pursue bass and panfish in ponds and lakes with hoppers hair frogs and poppers.
To begin there are some pretty decent lower cost rods and reels out there so you don't need a $400 rod and $500 reel to get started and see how you like it. First you need to know that in flyfishing you cast the line not the actual fly and you will see and hear about 3wt rods 6wt rods etc etc. rods are rated by weight indicating the size of the line they can throw with 2-3 being very small and 10 wt being large and mostly used for large fish big pike and saltwater fish. Don't make the mistake my brothers and I did when we were about 7-8 years old and bought our dad a 9 wt rod kit from herters. Hey if 6 is good then 10 has to be better right. Anyway I recently replaced my old fenwick rod and medalist reel with a newer fenwick HMG 6wt I bought on ebay for $55 and bought a orvis BBS reel for $100 and ended up with a pretty nice outfit for medium sized trout bass and panfish. A good place for you to start would probably be a 4pc. 5wt or 6wt.. rod from 8' to 9' and you can get a good starter outfit from cabelas, ll bean as well Okuma makes some decent priced stuff as well as winston,and orvis . I would start with a $150 budget and take a few classes and fish a bit to see what works best for you then you can upgrade. It will never hurt you to have a decent knock around rod that you don't care to leave in the trunk of your car or truck. Once you get your first outfit then go to a local orvis or fly shop that gives some classes and learn the basics. Just remember though that they also make their living selling equipment so go in knowing that some may push stuff on you and think about big purchases if they come at you too fast. Have fun