Bracer: I am with you on the 100 yard "minimum limit" when using my 17 HMR's (except I use my Smith & Wesson Model 647 in 17 HMR to bonk Ground Squirrels in to about 40 yards) - 17 HMR Rifles are simply more gun than needed for the closer Gophers. And theres no need to be wasting ammo money using the 17 HMR's when the cheap 22's will take them out at the closer ranges.
I have to get on the stick and order some 17 Hornet dies myself - thanks for the reminder!
All I have so far is the ammo boxes (no brass or factory ammo) along with some primers and a good variety of 17 caliber bullets.
Do you think 17 Hornet brass is available anywhere as yet/soon?
Or are you thinking of making your brass from 22 Hornet stuff?
I think I will go with the Redding dies myself - I will try to get along without the 3 die set myself. Until I see a need.
When one of my acquaintances or someone I don't know passes along an opinion that I am dubious of I always wait a few or several minutes and then revisit said "opinion" and query them regarding actual hands on experience by them on said opinion.
I often end up finding out there is NO first hand experience by them at all to be basing an opinion on.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy