I have found genuine advantages to both types and I just bought a second, pristine-condition, Dana Shortbed Terraframe as a "spare". I like these due to the light weight, great strength and real comfort under load and the ease of packing an oddly contoured load, such as a rolled hide, section of bone-in animal or whatever.

There have been very few internals until quite recently, that will handle the weight that one of these top externals will, the MR packs are good in that respect, but, the Dana externals STILL feel a bit better to me. The pack that "Big W" has been wise enough to buy is the superb McHale and my little experience with them and the maker, Dan, has convinced me to order one soon, they are the best packs I have yet seen.....bit costly, so, it's a decision one wants to make with a lot of thought.

Overall, for wilderness trekking in remote areas, where you cannot depend on assistance from others, I think that the best "expedition" grade large internals are the most useful choice and Mystery Ranch and Kifaru are about the top of that group, McHale, excepted.

There, are a LOT of barely-used 7000 cu.in. ish "Expedition" packs on the used market and those with bright colours can be muted by using a dull toned pack cover. This, to me, is the best place for a novice to start and thus learn what is most conmfortable for him as all the advice here available, cannot "feel" your what your own body will tell you.

That new Kifaru Bikini rig looks VERY good to an elderly geezer like me who wants to carry only the least burden possible. I can sure see one of these as an ideal deer hunting rig.