Good guns are where you find them. Sometimes the shows - sometimes shops. It is the crowd rather than the prices that I find ammusing.

I could care less about an AR - probably spent too much time carrying them for real. But as a result, have always found the cammo'd up wannabe crowd patently ridiculous. Even saw a advert the other day that buying some AR or the other earned you a "man card". Right. The really ridiculous ones here in the commonwealth are our militia. They have a booth at all the gun shows and are really into the stern for away stare look - those who could see over their guts. Would love to have had one of those boys in the back end of a C-130 at o'dark thiry over Sicily DZ - or better yet - Panama.

They have invaded one of my favorite gunshops as well. Black BDU trousers, harness and para-boots (Doc Martins?), and all the earnest talk preparing for the pending end of times. As if anyone of them would last an hour against a regimental combat team from the 82d if it ever came down to it.

I am all for anyone buying an AR who wants one (as long as they are reasonably sane). But I am getting a little concerned about the belief in a fantasy world to which so many seem to believe a battle rifle provides some sort of access.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill