1 1/8, because I dont know any better. When I buy wally world loads thats what I usually end up with. Im not aginst 7/8 or 1oz loads.

Like I said im new. I have only loaded once and that was when i was about 8 with my grand pa. We loaded some up for a turkey shoot. We both brung home turkeys and he won the pot. Those were his "bringing home the money" loads. He has since passed and I wasn't smart enough to learn from him while I had the chance.

Ill pick up a manual. So far there does not seem to be as much information available for shot shell reloading as there is for metalic cartridges.

Thanks for the info guys.

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Stay with published load data like digger said. I find myself using mostly Hodgdon powders for shot cartridges, so I get my data off their web site. That said, Clays is my go-to powder for target loads.

I gotta ask, why 1 1/8oz. loads for quail, doves, and clays? Drop down to 1oz. and kill just as much stuff, plus then with 1/8oz. less shot, every eighth shot charge is free so to speak. Better yet, try 7/8oz.- trust me when I tell you the birds won't know the difference. With shot so damned expensive, lighter loads make even more sense. Personally I don't know any trap/skeet/clays/dove shooters anymore who shoot 1 1/8oz. loads, myself included.