Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Stay with published load data like digger said. I find myself using mostly Hodgdon powders for shot cartridges, so I get my data off their web site. That said, Clays is my go-to powder for target loads.

I gotta ask, why 1 1/8oz. loads for quail, doves, and clays? Drop down to 1oz. and kill just as much stuff, plus then with 1/8oz. less shot, every eighth shot charge is free so to speak. Better yet, try 7/8oz.- trust me when I tell you the birds won't know the difference. With shot so damned expensive, lighter loads make even more sense. Personally I don't know any trap/skeet/clays/dove shooters anymore who shoot 1 1/8oz. loads, myself included.

Basically a good post here! But when blasting at doves I afford myself 1-ounce loads of 8's in a 20gauge.

Hoever I agree that using 1-ounce or 7/8oz loads have their advantages too when less is more! I haven't shot quail here in woorsheengton state where I live, but we have lots of valley quail (usually in peoples' yards!), that the average distance shot at is 16-17-18 yards! (told to me by actual quail shooters) So methinks those 7/8oz loads would be plenty in those instances.

As for powders, I too prefer Hodgdon ball propellents - often choosing powders that also work well in my handguns.

As for manuals, I collect reloading data (to study and compare to other eras) and recommend [possibly] finding and buying 2nd, 3rd, and 4th editions of the Lyman manuals as well as the 5th ed. My experience has shown me some editions are definitely BETTER than others! (better written, better edited or proof-read, better organized, etc., etc., ..... just "better" done and finished than other editions)

When reloading (more than 30yrs for me), I've found different powders "meter" (measure) differently than others too, and have chosen the ball or granular shaped powders much more often than "flake" powders.