Since you plan to visit Victoria Falls I would assume Zimbabwe is in your plans for a buffalo hunt.

In the past three years I have been on safari in Zimbabwe four times and have hunted buffalo each time. We have also been to Vic Falls twice, once before a hunt and once after the hunt.

One option would be to fly to Vic Falls from Jo'berg. You could spend the afternoon and next day sightseeing. That is plenty of time in Vic Falls. Depending on your taste the Victoria Falls Hotel, The Safari Lodge, or the Gorges Lodge are all nice. It is worth having lunch at the Safari Lodge and watch the waterhole. The views are spectacular at the Gorges Lodge, the Vic Falls Hotel is rich in history but is showing her age. The Falls walk, helicopter tour, booze cruise, zip line, are some other activities.

Early the next morning head to Hwange National Park. Spend two days there. Nehimba lodge is great (they are ranked number one on Trip Advisor) Your wife will thank you for this part of the trip. We were there in a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed our time there.

You will now be well rested, your body clock will be on Africa time, and you will be extremely ready to hunt.

A good choice not requiring a charter would be Matetsi. Unit one (Maba'lengwe) would be the one I would consider. There are no gemsbok, but there are some killer sable. It is wild and unfenced and a short drive from either Vic Falls or Hwange. Tim Farren books for them and is a good guy. Ten days of hunting would be good.

If you want to charter or drive further, the outfitters maddog mentioned are very good. I have hunted with Martin Pieters three times, Buzz is extremely good, and John Sharp is a legend. Some others are Cliff Walker with Walker Watson Safaris, Mokore Safaris (who I understand have been awarded a new concession).

Remember, if hunting Zim hunt with a licensed Zim PH and book with a Zim licensed outfitter.

Good luck with your choice,there is nothing like chasing buffalo around the the bush!!

Last edited by Mike70560; 12/30/12.